Evaluation of Ethanol, 2-[2-(2-methoxyethoxy)ethoxy]-, 1,1',1''-triester with boric acid (H3BO3)
The public comment period closed 5.30pm 6 August 2020.
AICIS has evaluated Ethanol, 2-[2-(2-methoxyethoxy)ethoxy]-, 1,1',1''-triester with boric acid (H3BO3), CAS No: 30989-05-0 under Part 4 of the Industrial Chemicals Act 2019 (IC Act), in accordance with the Industrial Chemicals (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Rules 2019 (Transitional Rules).
This evaluation was previously declared a secondary notification by NICNAS in the February 2020 Chemical Gazette under our old law, the Industrial Chemicals (Assessment and Notification) Act 1989. We are releasing the draft evaluation report for public comment in accordance with section 66 of the Transitional Rules.
Under section 60 of the Transitional Rules, secondary notification assessments started under the old law and not finalised by 1 July 2020, become Evaluations (IC Act).
Why the chemical needed an evaluation
The chemical required an evaluation because:
- of a new developmental toxicity study that was not available at the time of the assessment as a new chemical, and
- based on the new study, the notified chemical may be classified as a hazardous substance.
About the evaluation report
The report is an evaluation of the relevant new information on the potential human health hazard and risks that may be associated with exposure to the chemical.
Evaluation findings - report recommendations
Based on the evaluation findings, the chemical is classified according to the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) as below:
- Toxic to Reproduction (Category 2): H361D - suspected of damaging the unborn child
It is recommended that importers revise the SDS and labels to reflect the amended classification.
It is also recommended that users of the chemical should:
- avoid contact during pregnancy/while nursing
- avoid contact with skin and eyes
Request for variation applications
You may make a request to vary the draft evaluation.
To do this you:
- should outline any amendments and changes you are requesting
- must identify the exact words, sentences or paragraphs in the report to be varied. You must also provide any replacement words, sentences or paragraphs
- must explain your rationale behind your request and include any relevant references
Due date for variation requests
The date to submit a request expired at 5:30 pm 6 August 2020 - this is a statutory 20-working day deadline and cannot be extended.
If you have questions about the public comment process or you wish to discuss the report’s findings and conclusions, please contact us or phone 02 8577 8820.