Manufacture an industrial chemical
means to produce or extract an industrial chemical, including all of the following:
1. To produce the industrial chemical in the course of a chemical reaction*.
2. To extract the industrial chemical from a natural environment, with or without chemical change.
3. To extract the industrial chemical from a UVCB substance.
*A chemical reaction can occur with one or more chemicals. For example a chemical reaction could be through the action of light, heat or microbes on a single chemical. It is not restricted to the chemical reaction between 2 or more chemicals.
Examples of manufacturing chemicals
- Making soap via saponification of fats or oils using lye (sodium hydroxide)
- Creating essential oils using steam distillation or solvent extraction
- Making acrylic polymers (commonly used in nail polish, paints and adhesives) through the process of polymerisation