Decision tool – Work out if your introduction is medium to high risk for human health
This decision tool is related to step 4.1 of the process to categorise your chemical introduction.
Optional: To save or print your completed decision tool for your own records, click ‘Chemical identity’ before Question 1 and enter your chemical’s name or CAS number. To save as a PDF, select the print option in your browser and choose ‘Save as PDF’ or ‘Microsoft Print to PDF’. For Safari users, click 'File' and 'Export to PDF'. Note that a copy of a completed decision tool is not sufficient to meet your record-keeping obligations.
Who should use this?
This decision tool will help you work out if your introduction is in the 'assessed' category. There are 1‐3 questions depending on your circumstances. This tool refers to the Industrial Chemicals General Rules and the Industrial Chemicals Categorisation Guidelines.
Help us improve these tools by giving us your feedback.
What you need to know
Information about the following for your chemical:
- does it contain a sequence of 4‐20 fully fluorinated carbon atoms?
- are you introducing a polyhalogenated organic chemical at volumes over 100kg, is it persistent or have at least 1 environmental degradation product that is persistent?
- is your chemical introduced as a solid or in a dispersion?
- does your chemical consist of particles in an unbound state or as an aggregate or agglomerate, where at least 50% (by number distribution) of the particles has 1 or more external dimensions in the nanoscale?
- is it not soluble?
- does it have a nanoscale portion as part of the introduction that is not incidental to the overall introduction?