Comparable hazard assessment
A comparable hazard assessment is a type of assessment certificate application. They allow an applicant to use certain hazard assessments previously conducted by an overseas or Australian assessment body.
Criteria for using assessments
You can apply to use a comparable hazard assessment if you meet all the criteria.
- your chemical is not on the Inventory
- you are planning to apply for an assessment certificate
For assessment bodies, one of the following overseas or Australian assessment bodies must have already assessed your introduction.
- National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS)
- Australian Industrial Chemicals Introduction Scheme (AICIS)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) / Health Canada (HC) – (certain Schedules)
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA)
- European Commission (EC) Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) or its equivalent former committees — the Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) and the Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products (SCCNFP)
- Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)
- Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA)
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ)
- International parallel process assessments where Australia was involved as a secondary jurisdiction and Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) / Health Canada (HC) or the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) performed the risk assessment
How to apply for a comparable hazard assessment
If you are using a Canadian report
If you want to use a Canadian report in an application, it must have been completed by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) / Health Canada (HC). We do not accept other Canadian reports.
The Canadian notifier must authorise ECCC to share the reports about your chemical with us.
- The Canadian notifier must fill in the relevant sections of the authority to release assessment report to AICIS using their own letterhead.
- The Canadian notifier must send the completed letter to ECCC.
We recommend that you do this at least 60 calendar days before you submit your application to us.
Download the authority
This is a fillable document and you need Adobe Reader version 5.0 or higher.
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. Please contact us if you have issues with this document.