Decision tool – Work out if your introduction is medium to high risk to the environment
This decision tool is related to step 5.1 of the process to categorise your chemical introduction.
Note: If you wish to save your completed decision tool as a PDF, select the print option in your browser and choose ‘Save as PDF’ or ‘Microsoft Print to PDF’. For Safari users, click 'File' and 'Export to PDF'.
Who should use this?
This decision tool will help you determine your introduction category.
There are 1‐5 questions depending on your circumstances.
We want to make these tools useful for you. Help us improve them by giving us your feedback.
This tool refers to the Industrial Chemicals Categorisation Guidelines and Industrial Chemicals General Rules.
What you need to know
Information about the following for your chemical:
- does it contain a sequence of 4‐20 fully fluorinated carbon atoms
- is it a polyhalogenated organic chemical that you're introducing at volumes over 100kg, is persistent or has at least 1 environmental degradation product that is persistent
- is it a solid or a dispersion
- does it consist of particles in an unbound state or as an aggregate or agglomerate, at least 50% (by number distribution) of which has 1 or more external dimensions in the nanoscale
- is it not soluble
- does it have a nanoscale portion as part of the introduction that is not incidental to the overall introduction
- is it a persistent gas you're annually introducing at volumes over 100kg
- is it an organotin you're annually introducing at volumes over 10kg