- a substance or preparation intended for placement in contact with any external part of the human body, including:
- the mucous membranes of the oral cavity; and
- the teeth with a view to:
- altering the odours of the body; or
- changing its appearance; or
- cleansing it; or
- maintaining it in good condition; or
- perfuming it; or
- protecting it; or
- a substance or preparation prescribed by the rules for the purposes of this paragraph but does not include:
- a therapeutic good within the meaning of the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989; or
- a substance or preparation prescribed by the rules for the purposes of this paragraph.
Note: An ingredient or component of a cosmetic could be an industrial chemical.